Saturday, February 28, 2009

Cyclamens... A Modest Improvement




Hardy cyclamens (well, at least three species of them: purpurascens, coum, and hederifolium) do fairly well in our garden. However, depending on the conditions (snow cover, cold, wind), the leaves often come through the winter looking a little ratty, which somewhat detracts from their value to the garden. This last fall, I decided to cover all of them with a light covering of dry pine needles, and while we had good snow cover, I still think the pine needles were very protective, in that upon uncovering the cyclamens, they looked almost untouched by winter, in spite of reaching fifteen below in January.
While tolerant of most soils as long as they have good drainage, cyclamens do prefer alkaline soil, so I will want to remove the pine needles each year.

Posted by Picasa

Comments:
What a good idea! If not pine needles, at least something nice and dense... (The new bulbs I planted last year kept their leaves all Winter, but you're right(!) they look a little ratty.) Nice to have you posting again! :-) And Spring is actually coming!!
 
It's wonderful to be able to protect their delicate foliage, as for me it is the foliage that attracts my attention - so many new dirivitives of old favourites.... I especially like the ones whose variegation looks like a miniature Christmas tree in the centre of each leaf! I think a C. hederifloium species! I will start this protective measure next fall>Thanks for the suggestion
 
Shady... I like the pine needles, because they don't squash down the plant, and they tend to stay dry, so no rot.

Teza... the Christmas tree patterns are my favorite too!

Don
 
i love the evergreen bough trick. My big problem is I never know when to take them off. Do I only wait until really severe weather is over or do I want to protect them from the freeze/thaw cycle and sun in March (and April)? (zone 5)
Laura
 
I'm just pleased to see that someone in Iowa has something alive & green right now. This snow has outstayed it's welcome.
 
I'm just pleased to see that someone in Iowa has something alive & green right now. This snow has outstayed it's welcome.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?