Friday, June 27, 2008

Turning Over A New Leaf



Pinellia cordata 'Yamazaki' is really a pretty astonishing plant to see growing in the garden here in Iowa; it looks so much like some type of tropical houseplant, with its large (five inches long), thick, waxy leaves that are heavily patterned and deep maroon on the underside. It's sweet-smelling floral structures are a bonus; it is an aroid, cousin to the jack in the pulpits, with a similar inflorescence that arises from the ground on separate stalks amongst the leaves. There aren't too many plants that are six inches tall that can absolutely stop people in their tracks, but this is one of them.

Posted by Picasa

Comments:
Your plants are absolutely gorgeous. I look forward each day to seeing what you will post for the day!
 
"it looks much like some type of tropical houseplant, with its large, thick...leaves that are heavily patterned..." That's how I feel about my arum italicum. As though it really doesn't belong outdoors. Most of mine have died back, now. I assume if they bloomed, there will be berries in the Fall? (Ever sceptical, sorry)
 
Laney... I'm certainly pleased you enjoy my pictures. Now that I'm back, I need to dust off the camera and see what's in bloom.

shady... the arums do indeed look like they belong in a greenhouse. I don't terribly often get berries from them; they just don't seem to last long enough.
Don
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?