Thursday, June 19, 2008

Arisaema Costatum


This jack in the pulpit is native to the lower, wooded slopes of the Himalayas in Tibet and Nepal, so I'm pleased it does well in our garden, for most of the Himalayan jacks are not fond of our summers, tending in July to shrivel up and flop over like a balloon with the air let out of it. I do have this planted in a nice cool (for us), and somewhat moist ravine. I guess I should be doubly pleased that it is hardy here, as it is rated zone 7 for winter hardiness, and the last time I checked we were zone 5. The plant itself is a stately three foot tall; the single large leaf has three leaflets which are thick and deeply ribbed, for that nice tropical banana look. The floral structure is deep maroon red with white stripes, and the coolest part is the long thread hanging down from the jack; the thread reaches all the way to the ground.

Posted by Picasa

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?