Sunday, April 08, 2007

Primula Veris Sunset Shade


Primula veris is the common, usually pale yellow cowslip of the English countryside; lovely in its own right. Being a so-called candleabra primrose, its flowers are held up above the foliage for easy viewing, and away from mud spattering caused by April gullywashers. A commercial strain of P. veris comprises the Sunset Shades; plants selected in the orange to red spectrum. The orange ones have to be placed carefully, as orange clashes mightily with the usual mauve-pink spectrum of many other spring bulbs. The red selections, as above, are a different matter; they blend in nicely, yet are bright enough to light up a little gloomy spot like this one in a ravine in front of a large, grey rock. There is an apricot selection of P. veris Sunset Shades that I have a hankering to add to the garden... I'd like to combine it with a blue or puple flowering bulb; perhaps a hyacinth of some sort.
Posted by Picasa

Comments:
What an unusual looking flower! And very beautiful, too!
 
Beautiful. I've read novels that refered to cowslips but never known what they looked like.
 
That is an awesome looking plant!!
 
wow. what a great color! I can see that one paired with some of my alpine primroses as well as something blue.
 
It is really a cool plant. I like the plain vanilla pale yellow cowslip, but these colored ones are beaytiful. They really get loaded with flowers, too, and are pretty hardy.
Don
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?