Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Seneca Hills Perennials... A Throwback To The Past

This is a nursery fairly new to me, but I am absolutely charmed by it; it is rather like a throwback to when I first started gardening... at that time, many of the mail order nurseries were small outfits which reflected the owner's eclectic gardening interests (the business being an outgrowth usually of a garden which went off the deep end a little so the gardener thought that by selling a few spare divisions, they could buy even more plants). Ellen Hornig's Seneca Hills catalogue is both interesting in its plant descriptions, and absolutely idiosyncratic in its plant offerings, very obviously tracing the proprietor's evolving garden interests: what other catalogue showcases a wide selection of South African bulbs, antique irises, numerous species of peony, hardy cyclamens, arums, pineapple lilies, and sixteen different species of milkweed?
This is a catalogue to savor on cold winter evenings. http://www.senecahillperennials.com/Posted by Picasa

Comments:
What is the plant pictured? I don't recognise it... ?
 
Eucomis.
 
I am so glad you have discovered it. It has been one of my favorites for several years. Oh, wait a minute! I haven't placed my order yet . . . you're gonna get all the good stuff before I get a chance at it. Uh, gee, Don, are you sure you want to order from there?
 
Ummm... too late; sent my order in a week ago!
don
 
Cool, I've never heard of that catalog but I grew Eucomis bulbs last season and I love them. They were pretty easy to pimp seeds out of too. Thanks for the link I'm going to have to see if they'll send me one.
 
"Eucomis"

Wow, that is so cool. Talk about seeing a plant in a new way!
 
Oh, and Don, I noticed the Mississippi divide at Brent and Becky's bulbs, too. I think it's a shipper thing, and these guys are just passing on the costs.
 
Jenn... Brent & Becky I can sort of understand, since they are truly on the east coast... but why does a nursery in Maine charge me more for shipping, when I'm as close to them as somebody in south Florida? I tyell you, it's hick discrimination!
Don
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?