Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Low Slant

Our garden lies in a small valley, and there is a time each summer, when you wake one morning, and realize that the sun is now slanting much lower in the sky, so that the woods stays partly in shadow until fairly late. As I go out to look about, my rubber boots squeak through the wet grass, still heavy with dew from the cool night. Gaily patterned butterflies are thoughtfully drying their wings in the few sunny patches in the garden, and many dozens of birds are vying with each other to get a spot at the feeders; their urgency stemming from the enthusiastic energy of numerous new young birds, but also from the subtle premonition of fall in the air. These are bittersweet days; they are days when you feel like holding your arms wide and soaking it all in, as if you could save it all inside. One day soon, I will be driving through town, and the football marching band will be practicing in the field... the summer is far too short. Posted by Picasa

Comments:
How very pretty. From your posts, it seems as if your property is huge - how large is it? Also, so you have a fence to keep out deer, or are they not a problem in your area? Just curious.
 
How very pretty. From your posts, it seems as if your property is huge - how large is it? Also, so you have a fence to keep out deer, or are they not a problem in your area? Just curious.
 
Tracy... it's not huge, but uniquely isolated for being in suburbia. We have three acres of woods, but are backed by a four acre pond and all our neighbors' woods, and our land is cut by several deep ravines, so it seems bigger than it is. I have an acre fenced in from the deer... they have the rest.
Don
 
In some ways, the approach of fall is a relief. I'm looking forward to the cooler temps.
I know what you mean about summer being far too short. In fact, it seems to me that EVERY season is too short. Even winter. Spring always seems to come before I've finished all of my inside project.
 
Kasmira... yah, I love fall too... it's what comes after that I don't like. Our winters are brutal and endless compared to yours.
Don
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?