Thursday, April 07, 2005

Magnolias and Time

Last spring I got one of those unaccountable garden hankerings that just pop up once in a while; this one was to plant more magnolias in our woodland garden... my wife knows when she sees me standing around in the woods staring off into space, she'd better hide the checkbook, but sometimes she's not quick enough. Now why I got this particular hankering is hard to explain, since I already have ten magnolias, in different stages of maturity, but I think it has something to do with time. You see, I'm not exactly doddering from age, but it suddenly struck me one spring day that many magnolias take ten to twenty years to really reach maturity where they bloom profusely, and where the tree is in proprtion to the large flowers; seeing a skinny little magnolia with two or three huge flowers on it is somewhat akin to seeing a 16 year old girl who weighs 90 pounds soaking wet, wearing one of those humungous orchid corsages to her prom. Anyway, I initially thought to buy one magnolia each spring for six years, but then I thought maybe I'd just buy all six at once, and get them in the ground, and that's what I did. I'm feeling pretty healthy, but you never know...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?