Sunday, May 13, 2007
Primula Cortusoides
The Sayan Mountains in Siberia extend for eight hundred miles between the Atay Mountains and Lake Baykal; they are largely roadless and uninhabited... a vast (175,000 sq. miles) area of wild mountains and deep, swift rivers. They are home to Primula cortusoides; a small primrose with lilac flowers. It stays in bloom longer than any other primrose we can grow; the whole month of May here in Iowa, and longer in cooler, wetter climates than ours. It's very hardy (zone 2-3 winter hardy), but doesn't tolerate dryness, and will be blasted by hot sunlight, so I have had to extend a little thought in siting it in our garden. It rewards the effort by forming patches, and seeding.


Your description of the place between the Atay Mountains and Lake Baykal made me want to pack up and leave... Beautiful pic.
ReplyDeleteA beautiful place... but then, with no roads how do you get in there? :)
ReplyDeleteDon
dang....if I keep drooling on the keyboards I'm going to send you a bill for a new one LOL!
ReplyDeleteI love the primulas!
Hey fellow gardeners!
ReplyDeleteCheck out www.freetreesandplants.com! Great plants and you help people with disabilities!